Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Gospel Primer for Christians part 2

"Preaching the gospel to myself each day nourishes within me a holy brazenness to believe what God says, enjoy what He offers, and do what He commands." (p. 52)

The first section of this book is a 55 page argument for why it would be beneficial to preach the gospel to ourselves daily. He also means that we say the truth of salvation in our prayers, thereby "putting on the armor of God" by our prayers. He also means that we meditate on certain aspects of the gospel. The argument is very sound and scriptural; I personally thought it went on a bit long. But, it was all good.

I liked the second section a lot. It was just sort of a list of statements and verses for us to meditate on concerning our salvation. For example, here's one: "I am completely unable to save myself or even to make one iota of a contribution to my own salvation." Then, it will give a verse to go along with that thought: Romans 5:6 "We were helpless."

The third section is a poem about the gospel. That's not for everyone, but I think it can be nice to read.

The final section is a story/example demonstrating what it's like to be a fallen/prideful human and how realizing the gospel can help us.

I think the book is pretty good; although I liked the second section the best; and it was kind of too short for me. I think it is a great launching board for getting started on a fantastic spiritual discipline: speaking out gospel truths in our prayer times. I think what would be fabulous would be to make my own section 2 list of truths and verses that was longer and have it to read through periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment