Monday, March 29, 2010

A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent

I started reading this book today as it was recommended to me by Nancy Baker. I guess it's an argument for how beneficial it can be to preach the gospel to oursleves daily. Also, it serves as a tool to help one down the road in this spiritual discipline. The thought is, as we preach the gospel to ourselves - it will not only color how we see things in life; but also keep important salvation truths near the front of our minds where they may slip out more in our dealings with non-Christians we encounter.
The idea seems to make perfect sense to me; in fact it may be a revelation. But, I'll write more on the whole book later when I finish it. Although, I've often noted that the gospel get preached to Christians over and over in the NT - and that there must be a great benefit to thinking about those truths a LOT! ;)
For now, though, I will say this little list has me thinking a lot. It's a list found at the end of his first chapter - and it's his own little list of what we in Xenos call the MOG (means of growth). But, his list is a bit lengthier than ours:
He calls them "Habits of grace"
- Bible meditation (Acts 20:32; Col 3:16)
- Faith (Heb. 4:2)
- Prayer (Heb. 4:16)
- Fellowship with the saints (Eph. 4:32)
- Humility (James 4:6)
- Generosity (2 Cor 9:8-14)
- Obedience (Titus 2:11-12)
- Forgiveness (Ephesians 4:32)
- Worship (Ephesians 1:6)
- Evangelism (2 Cor. 5:18-20)

It was interesting to me just to think about the MOG in a different way, and wonder what list I would come up with if I looked at the Bible and tried to find out - how is one supposed to move forward with God once forgiven?

No comments:

Post a Comment