Friday, January 1, 2010

self-focus vs. others-focus

“The love of our neighbor is the only door out of the dungeon of self, where we mope and mow, striking sparks, and rubbing phosphorescences out of the walls, and blowing our own breath in our own nostrils, instead of issuing to the fair sunlight of God, the sweet winds of the universe.” -George MacDonald

One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star.
-Gilbert K. Chesterton

Hell is yourself and the only redemption is when a person puts himself aside to feel deeply for another person.
-Tennessee Williams

Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted.
Garrison Keillor

"For most of my life I thought that the way to be happy was to have as many pleasurable experiences as you could. Sounds reasonable, doesnt it? But as it turns out, one of lifes many cruel whims is that happiness and pleasure are often at complete odds. For me, one of the most unpleasant things in life is writing. I hate writing. I hate having to sit down to a blank screen every day and create something. Id so much rather curl up in front of my TV and watch some mindless movie. That would bring me a lot more pure pleasure. On the other hand, except for my boys, nothing in life brings me more happiness than writing. So on the days I do surrender to the lure of instant gratification, I wind up feeling miserable. Its often true that while displeasure lies in the doing, happiness lies in the having done."

- Rick Reynolds

"Love makes everything lovely"
-George MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment