Monday, May 17, 2010

Funfacts + Verses from Joshua

I took a break from reading books for now, as I am trying to finish up my Bible reading for this year. (A bit behind - I'm supposed to finish in April! and I still have 8 books to go). Anyhow, since I am not sharing any book reviews or teaching notes - I thought I would just share some fun facts and good verses from the final few books I am reading. Today's book was Joshua =
- A portion of land was given to 5 sisters in Joshua 17- What's funny about it is some of the names = One is named "Hoglah"; and one is named "Noah" - I didn't know Noah could be a girl's name.
- Caleb was 85 years old when he went and kicked some butt in Joshua 14 - he said he was just as strong as an 85 year old as he had been at age 40. He took the most difficult land with the largest people (giants) living in it.
- "Be very careful to love the Lord your God." Joshua 23:11
- "Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
- The reason the "Valley of Achor" is called the "Valley of Achor" is because that is where Achan was killed. (Joshua 7)
- "And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:15
- When the "Commander of the Lord's Army" shows up in chapter 5; Joshua says - "Who are you for? Are you for us, or for our enemies?" and the "Commander" just answers, "No. But I am the commander of the army of the Lord. Now I have come." I think it's kind of funny that he answers those questions with "No." Some people believe this character to be the pre-incarnate Jesus.
- "And afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the Book of the Law. There was not a word of all that Moses commanded that Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel, and the women, and the little ones, and the sojourners who lived among them." Joshua 8:34-35 This is interesting for several reasons - it talks about the Pentatuch as already having been written (by Moses, by the way). Also, he shared everything with everyone - even children. That's a pretty cool picture.
- Joshua warned that Jericho should never be rebuilt - and if it was, that the person who rebuilt it would lose his children. This warning/prophecy came true in 1 Kings, when a builder lost his children during the re-construction of the city. It's not clear if they died of natural causes or were sacrificed in an unbiblical ritual.
- Reading this today made me want to tell the story of Jericho and Ai to my kids.
- "One man puts to flight a thousand, since it is the Lord your God who fights for you, just as He promised you." Joshua 23:10

1 comment:

  1. Cool list of insights. I just re-read Joshua too, so lots of these are fresh in my mind. I like how when God is first talking to Joshua about leading Israel, he reminds him to "be strong and courageous" about a million times... probably good for us to remember too!

    ReplyDelete